Sunday, January 24, 2010

share

Grace Livingston Hill wrote comforting, inspiring stories. Her characters lives are based on faith and prayer. I've read and reread her books since highschool.

Homing begins in August, the hottest month of summer. A lawyer with an important letter finds Jane working in a department store. He loses track of her when a lack of funds forces her to find a new apartment. She tries to be content, even thankful while longing for a real home, remembering,
"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms. . .I'm going there to prepare a place for you." John 14:1-2, NIV
She spends a pleasant vacation housesitting for a coworker. While there, she attends an evening Bible study about the Book of John, where the lawyer runs into her again.

Ms. Hill describes her characters and settings very clearly. I've always been drawn to the homes and gardens, but especially the menus. For example, one hot evening Jane has ice cream for dinner. On a warm morning, she imagines having melon on ice, orange juice, hot biscuits and cereal with cream.
Along with my sewing projects and other interests, I plan to use this blog to share ideas based on my collection of over 100 Grace Livingston Hill books. They are peaceful reminders of life in an earlier time.

No comments: