Saturday, July 16, 2011

share

Ladybird (Hill, GL, 1930) Part 2

A recurring theme in Mrs. Hill's stories is planning ahead.  In Obsession of Victoria Gracen, Rebecca baked the many desserts needed for the Sabbath meetings on Saturday evening.
 In Ladybird, Fraley's mom planned ahead by filling a travel bag with necessities.    She placed a best dress made over from an old black satin and her Bible inside.  She made pockets for needles, thread, buttons, scissors, a pencil, some cloth for patches and some pins.  Another held a comb and mirror, soap and a washrag.  She packed a few basic foods, too, corn meal, salt pork, cheese, sugar and salt.  As she left, Fraley grabbed a tin cup.  Later, she found an empty bottle with a cork and her dad's field glass.
  All this planning ahead reminds me! In November, my son and I send a shoebox filled with little gifts for a boy through Samaritan's Purse Operation Christmas Child.  My mom and I save Happy Meal toys throughout the year to put in, and this is the perfect time of year to purchase school supplies to pack- so many sales.  Here are yesterday's purchases.  We don't miss a couple dollars a week, and in a few months, the box is full! 

1 comment:

Kristy said...

My kiddos and I love filling shoeboxes too! It's a great way to let the children be personally involved and make a box for a child their age. :)