Sunday, March 11, 2012

make

Two-cut/ Fifteen minute Throw-Pillow Cover Tutorial
I've made envelope-style pillow covers for years, but never this quickly.
Here's my secret:
99 cent Hobby Lobby/Walmart/Michael's bandannas!  You'll need two. 
They come in so many cute prints.  For instance:
Please make sure you have all your basic sewing stuff available
and matching thread on your machine.
Step 1.  These bandannas are about 21 1/2 inches square.  I made my first cut at 9 inches.
Step 2.  Put one piece of cut bandanna on top of uncut bandanna, right sides together. 
Make sure to line up your cut edge along one side.
Use some pins.  I have been known to totally mess things up walking from the dining table to the sewing machine.  The finished edges make this project so quick, no cutting squares or hemming!
Step 3.  Put the other cut piece on top (still, right sides together) overlapping about an inch.  Again, make sure your finished edge is in the middle.  Use some more pins.
Step 4.  Cut off the skinny strip that's left on one side.
Step 5.  Since the sides weren't perfectly straight, I used a 1/2 inch seam allowance
to sew all the way around.
Backstitch over the places where three layers of fabric meet.
 Step 6.  Trim each corner, and turn right side out.
 I like to use my closed seam ripper to push the corners out neatly.
Step 7.  Top stitch all the way around 1/4 inch from the edge.

Before:
Old navy blue throw pillow.
  Truthfully, it was up in a closet, not lying on this comfy chair.
Fifteen minutes and a little ironing later...
After!
Cute animal print pillow!
Can you imagine all the ways to embellish this?  Don't get me started.

No comments: