Tuesday, April 9, 2013

share

We started our fifth and final Reading book yesterday, which means our writing goal is five sentences a day in journals and in our writing center.  I gave a topic starter-
I like Spring break.  It is fun.
Often, early in the year, many kiddos write sentences similar to this but I quickly put a stop to it by asking why? and what makes it fun?  Everybody added
because
then started their five sentences.  To encourage re-reading and editing, I asked them to put a star by the best part of Spring break.  Here are few responses with spelling corrected and sorted by themes that emerged:
 
I helped my Dad with the horses.
 
I played my DS.
We play with the dogs.
I played cornhole.
I get to ride bikes.
 
I get to go to my friend's house.
You can stay up all night with friends.
 
I went to a city. Charleston, WV he told me.
I got to go to Tennessee.
 
Flowers, butterflies and ladybugs.
 
I played in the pool. 
We had a party at the pool. 
I get to get in water.
 
We celebrate my family's birthdays.
 
I learned to ____ with my armpit.  I'll let you fill in the blank.
 
I saw Ms. Leach at the gas station.  Really? That was the best part?
 
I'm linking-up these first-grade slices of life.  Go see what's going on with the other slicers.  

2 comments:

Betsy Hubbard said...

Neat. It's nice when a plan comes together. Enjoyed reading your students work.

Kate said...

It's always fun to see what they think at that age. My 8th grade daughter had to turn in a script she'd written yesterday for Drama. It's amazing how those sentences change as they get older. Thanks for sharing, it's nice to start the day with a smile.