Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Slice

     How can a little boy that needed my constant (and I mean EVERY other minute) attention earlier this Fall, turn into one of my favorite little people? Not quite sure...

     At Open House, his mother carried him into the room. A first-grader. 
     Three weeks into school, I found out he hadn't even turned six yet. A first-grader.

     I could go on and on and on about the numerous ways he misbehaves every day, every few minutes, but I soon realized he just didn't know. Seriously, hadn't been taught simple little things.
     He would enter the room in the morning and throw his backpack on the carpet. I told him not to- he doesn't anymore. He told me during playtime he had peed in the bushes. I told him we can't do that and he hasn't again (that I know of)
     He is super curious and interested in everything. He comments on everything. He smiles at me (sincerely) even though two minutes before I've raised my voice to him. I have raised my voice at him A LOT.

     Today, he saved his straw from lunch and played with it most of the afternoon. When did I turn into a teacher that allows that?? I even thought to myself, "He's not hurting anything." He made it into a snorkel and plans to take it to the pool this summer. He also stuck it in his ear. 
     At some point (maybe during October?) I totally started understanding that he's not doing stuff on purpose to annoy me but he's just a little guy doing little guy things. And he cracks me up. 
     Never thought it would happen and tomorrow may be completely frustrating, but today he told me I was his best teacher he ever had. Since he's only been in Kindergarten, best out of two isn't so bad.

2 comments:

Carol said...

You've captured this guy so beautifully! He's so lucky to have someone who understands and loves him so well!

Kate said...

He sounds like a very cute handfull. But if he's learning then that's what matters.