Friday, December 17, 2010

share

The Beloved Stranger (Hill, GL, 1933)

At her own wedding reception, shortly after convincing her fiance's girlfriend to marry him instead, Sherrill served chicken salad and creamed mushrooms. To keep Sherrill's mind off of her troubles, Aunt Pat took her to visit her old church on Sunday morning. She remembered walking with James and snacking on caraway cookies. Gemmie served coffee, tiny sandwiches, cinnamon toast, little cakes and an ice while Carter visited with Sherrill.

There are several simple prayers and wonderful messages in this story.
First, from Lutie,
"Please, dear Father, don't let anything in us hinder Thy light from shining through us, so that others may see and find Thee."
then, from Sherrill,
"Dear God, I thank you that you took away what I thought I wanted, even though it hurt, and gave me what you had kept for me. Oh, make me worthy of such joy, and make me always ready to yield to your will."
Both of which are relevant for us each day.

Finally, this from 1 Peter 4:13 NIV

But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the suffering of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.

No comments: