Saturday, August 13, 2011

make

Scrappy Squares
   I started cutting 2 1/2 inch squares early in the summer for Monica's Mimi Kicks Stash quiltalong.  My goal was 72 different fabrics, no blues.
   The original plan was super scrappy- different colors in each block, but then I watched the Jinny Beyer video on The Quilt Show (used to be Simply Quilts on HGTV).  It's worth it just to see her totally by hand quilts, especially the September 11 tribute quilt, but she also teaches an amazing color theory lesson.  
   So, my plan changed!  I sorted my colors light, medium and dark (of course, I have mostly mediums) arranging the darkest in the bottom corner.  Each block has a black in the middle.  I'm thinking about spacing out the pinks and balancing the others around them.
The purple square is my favorite, how about you?

8 comments:

scraphappy said...

The pink with the zebra center tickles my fancy. So fun what you can learn from the experts.

Cassandra said...

Beautiful! I love the colors. I think my favorite is the pink one on the bottom in the center.

Quilter Kathy said...

This is a neat idea for using up scraps and working on colour theory at the same time.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Neat block! I have always liked Jinny Beyers, her work is so beautiful.

Char said...

Wow, this is so nice. I love all the blocks.

Terri said...

I like the rainbow arrangement.

Judee said...

Oh, I like them all. The blue and green together is great.

Deanna said...

The red/cherry block. At first the center just looks black, and then, surprise!

It looks really nice!