Tuesday, July 7, 2015

write

Teacher's Write Day #2

     This summer, I've had new situations in which to people watch. My cruise (and airport layovers) provided tons of opportunity- tanning on the Lido deck, shore excursions, dinner in the dining room. So fun! I could describe people all day. But yesterday, tanning on my own deck, in my own neighborhood...

     When we moved to our subdivision, there were only twelve houses. It's grown rapidly, but our original neighbors still live around us. Always kind, generous with Trick-or-Treat candy. Pleasant. One quirky difference? Twenty-three cats. We counted. A few years back she mentioned that the mailman drives too fast down our cul-de-sac. She had a sign made that says, "Watch for Cats," to hang on her fence. When visiting friends asked I explained, and we smiled.
     Last spring, this lady's cousin and her husband moved in behind my house. The husband is very kind and gentle. Pays way too much for lemonade at Colton's yearly stand. His wife has never spoken, and will not wave at us, but to each her own. A few weeks ago I mentioned to my mom that she drives too fast and cuts the corner of her driveway and my yard. Again, to each her own. Well...
     Yesterday, I noticed yet another Watch for Cats sign added- directly at the end of the cousin's driveway. Apparently, I'm not the only one realizing just how fast this lady drives.

     I'm naming these characters Cat Lady and her Cousin, leaving off the customary adjective of Crazy. I do not plan to ever use them in a story, because who in their right mind would read it? I do wonder about their relationship though... are they close? Did they play together as children? Has Cousin taken note of the new sign? The world may never know.
   Happy Tuesday!  

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that would make a fantastic story that I was definitely read! Thanks for sharing.

Bernadette said...

Ah, neighbors. You gotta love them. Great character descriptions. I think they would make a fun children's book. Sort of city mouse and country mouse riff.

Catherine said...

I would also wonder about their relationship, but also their motivations. Why so many cats? And where's the cousin going in such a hurry? Thanks for sharing!

Kate said...

DT just finished up a writing class, I think your real life story would be a great prompt.